There are so many different areas to consider when filing a federal tax form. First of all you have to determine which form is the best choice for your unique situation in life.
The beginning form would be the 1040EZ for simple tax returns. Of course we are familiar with the 1040 and from there it goes on and on.
You can file a five different ways:
- Single- This is for anyone who is unmarried, divorced, or legally separated according to your state law.
- Married filing jointly- This is for a married couple. If your spouse died during the year, you may still file as married for that year.
- Married filing separately- This is for a married couple who wants to file separately.
- Head of Household- This is usually for people who are unmarried. To qualify for this status you must pay more than half of the cost of maintaining your home for yourself and a qualifying person.
- Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child- This is for people whose spouse died, you have a dependent child, and you meet certain other conditions.
Did you know you may be eligible to file your taxes for free? The Free File program is for taxpayers who have an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $56,000 or less. There are software companies who set an eligibility requirement for free filing.
Not everybody will qualify but, it’s worth checking into. Some companies may base eligibility on the AGI alone while others may consider geographic location, specific states, and other criteria.
Oops, I made a mistake!
What happens if you make a mistake on your federal tax return? You would be surprised as to how many people do make this error. It all depends on what type of a mistake has been made. If it’s a mathematical error then, the processing department will catch the error and correct it. I
f you forgot to attach a schedule, the IRS will contact you and ask for the missing information. If you didn’t report all of your income or missed a credit then, you can file an amended or corrected return by using Form 1040X.
The Easy Button Does Exist
We all wish for an easy button in life and I have one for you. It’s called Turbo Tax Online. Do you want easy to understand federal tax form instructions? Their software will ask simple questions about your life and finances and will guide you step by step as you fill out your tax return.
Visit TurboTax Online today to discover the Top 6 Reasons to use their tax return software. The tax experts are standing by to help you today!